Thursday, January 28, 2021

Pea Coats, Flannel Shirts and Turtleneck Sweaters

A few weekends ago, my wife and I were watching television. Instead of catching up on WEST WING or OZARK, we stumbled upon the movie THE BROTHER'S MCMULLEN, a movie made in the 90s that reeks of the 90s. So naturally we watched it and I found myself falling into the warm embrace of nostalgia. 

It's not a bad movie. There were thematic elements that spoke to the twenty-two year old me. 1995 wasn't a good year for me. I was listless, alone and miserable. I dreamed of being a writer without putting in the work. I connected to the characters. Barry's longing for the right woman, his younger brother's struggles with his Catholicism and the lasting affect their abusive father left on them. All that kept me tuned in and I certainly could write a long piece about that, but as you can guess by the title of this, that's not what I want to do. I want to write about pea coats, flannel shirts and turtleneck sweaters. 

Now, these three items are timeless but they reached their fashion peak in the 90s, a decade's fashion that was muted when compared to the 70s or 80s. I defy you to name a better look than a turtleneck sweater and a pea coat. You know those memes where the compare the way Millennial dress to Cary Grant or Sean Connery? You notice they don't try that with a pea coat and turtleneck. 


 See, I told you. 

I always liked turtlenecks. I was a skier in high school, so I always wore turtlenecks under my sweaters. The first time I saw them combined, it was a revelation. I felt like a World War 2 British commando when I wore them.I'm sure if I looked now I could find one but I'm more of a Henley man now. 

If you know me at all, you know I love flannel. Flannel will never go away. It may wane and wax in stylishness, but it will always exist. 

Pea coats were my jam. I loved them. Still love them. I was obsessed with them before it was cool. 

The high collar. The double-breasted, wide lapels. The buttons. They are just cool. They make a statement. I've included a variation of them in every fantasy story that I write because they are that book. I've owned a pea coat. I'm a different person when I wear one. They look good on me. I can be anything when I'm wearing them. A magic-wielding warrior. A secret agent. That cool teacher that still wears his scarf after he's taken his coat off. (Okay, okay, I've been that guy.) There's power in that coat. 

Now, if I could just find a pair of Levi's Silver Tab Button-fly jeans.

No comments: