Thursday, May 3, 2012

What's Next?

On Sunday night/very early Monday morning, I finished and submitted a revised draft of Spring's Tempest to my agent. It was a very strange and rewarding feeling. I think that I did some of the best writing I've ever done in that book. I also think there are some parts of the book that will be eviscerated by an editor...and I mean that in a positive way. But comically, it almost felt anti-climactic when I finished it. Now, I wait.

On one side of the coin is the anticipation and nerves of waiting during the submission's process. It is totally out of your control, even more so that when querying a book to an agent. You at least have some sense of control over that. But now, I'm waiting for my agent to read it and send it to editors. It's a mind numbing experience.

The other side of the coin, perhaps the more exciting side of the coin, is the process of deciding what to do next. It's a daunting task that I needed to clear my head over in order to do properly.

I took a few days off from writing. Doing some reading (both professional and recreational). About 11 % into Cinda Williams Chima's The Demon King and enjoying it (Curse you Kindle Fire for not telling me page numbers). I'm feeling some of those pangs of jealousy that I've talked about before while reading it, which makes me want to read more. But that doesn't mean I'm not thinking about the next project.

I made a list of 5 or 6 things I might want to work on next, including the project from last summer, Sisters of Khoda, that needs a solid edit and rewrite, and the started and paused Point Guard and Space Princess project. I sent the list to some readers, friends and my agent to see where I should go next. Got some terrific feedback from all of them but I'm not nailed down to anything yet.  It's exciting and nerve wracking at the same time. I'm leaning towards a rewrite of Sisters in May and something else for the Summer. Maybe the follow up to Sisters, maybe a fresh project.

We'll see. All I know is that life is very exciting right now. Let's hope I can keep up my energy levels for the next month plus of school.

No comments: