Monday, February 26, 2024

Seeking Perfection

 I just finished reading a book titled Seven Short Sentences About Writing by Verlyn Klinkenborg and was struck by it. An interesting little book that is exactly what it says on the label and it's filled with tons of bite-sized nuggets of writing wisdom. It almost reads like a book of poetry. There's some good stuff in it and hoity-toity stuff in it as well. A few of the passages really grabbed me though and one read like Mr. Klinkenborg had been reading my blog. This one isn't a short sentence really but rather a list:

            "Think of all the requirements writers imagine for themselves:

A cabin in the woods

                    A plain wooden table

                    Absolute silence

                    A fountain pen

                    A favorite ink

                    A favorite blank book

                    A favorite typewriter

                    A favorite laptop

                    A favorite writing program

                    A large advance

                    A yellow pad

                    A wastebasket

                    A shotgun

                    The early light of morning

                    The moon at night

                    A rainy afternoon

                    A thunderstorm with high winds

                    The first snow of winter

                    A cup of coffee in just the right cup

                    A beer

                    A mug of green tea

                    A bourbon

                    Solitude

            Soon or later the need for any one of these will prevent you from writing."

I'm not sure who needs a shotgun before writing. 

Oof. Talk about a punch to the gut. This nails that feeling I had when I wrote about typewriters and writing sheds and the wardrobe of writers. (Well, I mean, I've never needed a shotgun for anything let alone writing!) I'm seeking perfection where perfection doesn't matter. But in reality, they are nothing more than distractions. It's never going to be perfect and I need to come to grips with that. Things are never going to be perfect when writing and they don't need to be. Much like the writing itself doesn't need to be perfect. It's all about getting these ideas on paper. Or through a keyboard. And that's where my focus should be, not on building a writer's shed or wearing the right clothes when I'm writing. I've got to get the ideas out of my brain and to their destination. I can worry about perfection later. 

 

No comments: